Thinking of signing up for match.com? It’s America’s most popular dating site, but they don’t make their rates and fees obvious. In summary, the longer subscriptions are cheaper per month, with the 6-month subscription being the best deal. Also, new members can use a promo code to bring the price down further. We researched the cost match.com subscription pricing in detail, and here’s what we learned:
There are two subscription levels: BUNDLE or BASIC:
Before joining match.com, you’ll want to understand the difference between the two subscription levels. By default you’ll be presented with match.com’s “Bundle” plan which has a few more features.
- BUNDLE Plan: You’ll get: “Email read” notifications, “First Impressions” feature, and a better, “highlighted profile”
- BASIC Plan: You can save about 10%, but it’s probably not worth it for what you give up.
Both “Bundle” and “Basic” plans include core features like the ability to search for matches and to contact other singles. Most people choose to spend the extra $2 or so per month to get the more robust Bundle plan.
Match.com prices per month:
Here are the monthly costs for match.com signup for the Bundle and Basic plans:
|Subscription Length:||BUNDLE Plan Cost:||Basic Plan Cost:|
|3 Months||$25.99 / month||$22.99 / month|
|6 Months (Popular)||$22.99 per month||$19.99 / month|
|12 Months||$19.99 / month||$18.99 / month|
Match.com DISCOUNT monthly prices w/ promo code:
You can use a coupon to save an extra 25% on a match.com subscription. Here are the the discounted prices for match.com after applying this 25% off promo code:
|Discounted Subscription:||Bundle Plan (Popular)||Basic Plan*|
|3 Months||$19.49 / month||$17.24 / month|
|6 Months (Popular)||$17.24 / month||$14.99 / month|
|12 Months||$14.99 / month||$14.24 / month|
*I update these prices often, but they might fluctuate slightly. You actually have to sign-in and click “subscribe” to view today’s discount pricing info on match.com
Tips on pricing & billing
- Initial cost: You are billed a one-time amount upfront for whatever length you commit to at the promotional price.
- Monthly billing: When the promotional period ends, you are billed once each month at FULL-PRICE (up to $50/month!)
- Tip: Turn off “auto-renewal” – To avoid unexpected costs after the promotional pricing ends, I recommend turning off auto-renewal after you signup. If you want to continue your subscription, you can turn it back on later.
- Free Trial: If you aren’t familiar with match.com, I recommend taking advantage of their free trial before joining. During your trial period, can click the “subscribe” button at any time to join. Just be sure to cancel before the 3-7 day trial ends if you don’t want to be billed.
- Cancellation: Not sold on 100% on match.com? Be sure to cancel 2 days before your subscription ends to avoid being billed for the next month
The 6-month match.com subscription is the best deal
So, you probably realized that the “Basic” plan is a joke, but so is the 1-month plan. Really, it takes most people a couple of weeks just to get established on Match.com, so who really wants to pay double (monthly cost) to only join for only a month?
The 6-month subscription seems to hit the sweet spot of the best length, and best price. If you opt for longer, you’re not saving much more (per month), and you’re committing to an awfully long time.
What if you meet your soulmate after a couple months? There’s no need to commit to a 12-month membership in my opinion, unless you are committed to not settling down any time soon!
Also, the the 6-month subscription comes with the match.com guarantee, stating that if you hven’t found someone really special in 6 months, they will credit you for another 6 months free. Yet another reason NOT to pay for a year up-front.
Avoid being billed at full price when the promotion ends: Turn OFF “auto-renewal”
If you do sign up for match.com, consider turning off auto-renewal immediately. Otherwise, you will be billed every month at regular price (about $50!) after your discounted subscription ends.
To turn it off, click account settings, and then change/cancel membership. You can always turn auto-renew back on, but it’s less of a hassle this way.
Most of the many match.com complaints come from people who didn’t realize that match.com would bill them each month at regular price after the promotional period ends. If you’re not familiar with how it works, try the free trial, and be ready to cancel before it ends. Also, be smart, and do research (like this!) to avoid billing confusion!
- Playing Devil’s Advocate – Be smart & read: 10 things dating sites won’t tell you – marketwatch.com
- Meet someone special on match? Use our exclusive coupon for FTD flowers!