I try to eat healthy, and I try to make my kids eat healthy too. So there’s no reason I should include candy in my son’s Valentine’s cards to his classmates. Thankfully I came across this adorable idea using Teddy Grahams from my dear friend at Saving Toward a Better Life.
These are particularly great if you have a toddler in preschool and you want to give treats to the class without having to resort to candy that the little ones shouldn’t have. Plus, it’s completely frugal. You can make Valentine’s for an entire class of students for around $3.00!
“Beary” Special Valentine Treats
- Teddy Grahams (or store brand equivalent) – fills about 10 bags halfway
- Valentine bags
- “Beary” Special cards printed on card stock
I don’t think you should really need any. 🙂 Just have fun creating this yummy Valentine treat that is a healthier alternative to candy. Get your little munchkin involved too. Just try not to eat too many along the way.
Brownie in a Jar
- 2 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hershey kisses
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small plastic baggie
- Mason Jar
1. Pour sugar into the mason jar and press down.
2. Add cocoa powder and press down.
3. Pour in flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
4. Pour sprinkles in small baggie and attach “love” tag.
5. Attach directions for brownies to the jar.
Directions to attach on jar
1. Empty mix into a bowl and use hands to mix up.
2. Add 3/4 cup butter and 4 slightly beaten eggs. Mix until well until blended.
3. Spread batter into greased or sprayed 9 X 13 pan.
4. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until done.
5. Remove from oven and sprinkle with “love”.
- Math This craft/gift lends itself perfectly to practice measuring skills. Have your child examine the measuring cups and make observations about the sizes and numbers displayed.
- Language Arts Have your child help write the labels and/or directions. If they are not old enough yet, you can write them and discuss the letters and sounds. Remember that drawing pictures is also an early form of writing for children so they can illustrate the directions by drawing the steps next to the words.
- Science Discuss liquids and solids and how the solids in the jar don’t mix but if they were liquids they would. Also talk about when you add the remaining ingredients in the directions, they will become a liquid, then bake into a solid again.
Other crafts can also be found in the Free Craft Newsletter.
The school year is coming to a close, and lots of people have bought a yearbook. But, this year, you can create and share your favorite memories with a personalized Class Memories Photo Book from the Kodak Picture Kiosk at the Target photo lab. You can connect to your Facebook photos right from the Kodak Picture Kiosk, and it
Christmas is almost here. Have you made your list? I haven’t – I don’t know what I want! I always remember things I want on December 26th, thinking, “Dang, I should have asked for that!” Thanks to JoeShopping.com, you will still be able to buy the perfect gift [you forgot about] with my “Christmas after Christmas” $100 Amazon gift card giveaway!
JoeShopping: Where Shopping Meets Social Networking
JoeShopping is a combination of comparison shopping sites (like amazon.com and shopping.com) combined with the best parts of social networks (like Facebook and Twitter). You can post a photo of yourself with your newest outfit, add a video of you trying to take an action figure out of its packaging (dang those wretched twisty ties!), write a product review of your favorite item, blog about your fondest birthday presents, or share your latest shopping adventure.
It’s Kinda Addicting
Basically, JoeShopping is a fun social network themed around shopping. They also have a ton of new features that will be added over the next few months, so check out JoeShopping, and stick around for a while. It’s fun! They don’t sell anything, JoeShopping just shows you the best and least expensive places on the Web to find what you’re looking for. And with a click, you’re on that retailer’s website! They also have two huge promotions going on right now where you can win $5000 for each!
Care to Join Me?
I signed up at JoeShopping and shopped around for a few items on my children’s Christmas list. While I was at it, I saw I could post a status update. “Sure, why not?” I thought. So I posted that I was looking for a Vtech MobiGo for my youngest son. Out of the blue, “Andrew” replied to me with the best price and the retailer who had it. WHOA. (I should say that I’m looking for something off the wall like a pink telescope and see how good Andrew is then. I’ll show him!)
Oh.. and you get badges.. and friends.. and points! And you can win prizes! In my opinion, JoeShopping is everything that other shopping comparison sites are not.. FUN. I’d love it if you would sign up to be my friend at JoeShopping! 🙂
One lucky Freebie Spot reader will win a $100 gift card to Amazon from JoeShopping. How much do you love JoeShopping now?
How to Enter!
The first and mandatory method of entry is to visit JoeShopping, search for any item you want, tell me the name of the item you searched for, and which store has it the cheapest. That
Remember my Sesame Street Video USB giveaway? Well, there’s good news! If you didn’t win, you now have another chance. ATP is giving away two full seven characters sets of the Sesame Street Video USB! Check out their YouTube video.
The Sesame Street Video USB Holiday Giveaway Contest asks people to send ATP an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or write on their facebook wall telling them what you would do with the 7-piece collection during the holidays. The two most creative winners will receive all seven (Elmo, Abby, Big Bird, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Grover, and the Sesame Street Sign) characters! Enter by Dec 17th and receive your prize before Dec 25th! Good luck. 🙂
Disclosure: I was asked by ATP to post about this promotion. I received no compensation for this post. Any expressed opinion is completely my own. View my official Disclosure Policy.
Who doesn’t love gift cards? Well, I guess if you’re a man and you get a gift card to Bath & Body Works, you might not love that. BUT.. I’m sure you could find something frilly and manly-scented to buy.
GiftZip is the ultimate destination for all things gift cards. GiftZip is perfect for a last minute gift idea or as a more efficient, greener way of giving gift certificates from popular retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, Target, and iTunes. Retailers are broken down in a convenient way using categories such as Gifts for Her, Gifts for Him, Family, House, and more. No matter the occasion, there is a gift card that will fit perfectly.
It seems like we’re always celebrating something. Anniversaries, birthdays, weddings.. it never ends! For amazing selection and an eco-friendly gift that your recipient is sure to love, GiftZip is a lifesaver!
How GiftZip Works:
- Browse the various categories, locate a retailer of interest and click on that retailer’s logo.
- A box will appear providing a brief description of the product or services that the retailer offers, as well as information regarding denominations available and locations where the eGift card is redeemable.
- Click GiftZip it! And you will be automatically directed to the retailer’s secure eGift card page.
- From there, follow the instructions on the retailer’s website to complete your order.
- Your eGift card will be sent by email and arrive in your recipient’s inbox. You also can have the eGift card sent to yourself to print.
So What’s the Catch?
I wondered, why is GiftZip doing this? I mean, I could just access the retailer directly (if I can think of one!), so are there hidden fees or do I need to register? Why would GiftZip do this?
The answer is pretty simple and straightforward. When you visit GiftZip to make a gift card purchase, you save time by having access to nearly every online retailer all in one place. These retailers know that customers who come from GiftZip are much more likely to make a purchase than just some random visitor; it’s all about the referrals.
So basically, it’s a win-win situation for all of us! As customers, we get to shop quickly and easily while still in our jammies, plus we don’t have to worry about the gift card getting lost (just reprint it from your email inbox!). How many times have you [almost] thrown away a gift card or cash on Christmas? Yep.. been there.
Connect with GiftZip
To find out more about GiftZip, please visit their website, follow them on Twitter, or “Like” them on Facebook. Be sure to tell them that Freebie Spot sent ya!
Thanks to GiftZip, one lucky Freebie Spot reader will win a $50 Gift Card to Amazon.com. Yay! (Gift card will be sent by email.)
How to Enter!
The first and mandatory method of entry is to visit GiftZip and tell me which of their hundreds of retailers is your favorite. That’s it! Be sure to enter your email address correctly otherwise I will not be able to contact you.
Bonus entries! (After mandatory entry is done; leave a new comment for each.)
- Subscribe to the Freebie Spot email newsletter
- Subscribe to the Freebie Spot RSS feed
- Follow Freebie Spot on Google Friend Connect (located in right sidebar)