- How to Blog
- Dear Diary
- About Me
It’s time to start this fun series up again! This week’s slow cooker recipe is from Brett at Mama Loves Her Bargains that is sure to warm you on a cold night. Chili is one of Brett’s favorite dishes to make when the weather gets cooler. This is more or less the chili her mom made although some things have changed a bit over the years.
Crock Pot Chili
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage (if you like more heat, use hot!)
- 1 15oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 2 large cans Tomato Sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Chili seasoning to taste
- Hot peppers- to taste
- 3 bell peppers and 1 medium red onion, sauteed to soften
- Brown the ground meat and the sausage in a pan. Once browned, put meats into crock pot, and return pan to stove.
- Chop the onion and pepper as small or large as you’d like it (I like to mince them) and saute in oil or butter (or the grease from the meat). Once the veggies are softened, add to crock pot with the meat.
- Pour both cans of the tomato sauce into the crock pot, add chili seasoning to taste, and hot peppers (we add the hot peppers slowly, over time, so we don’t get our chili too hot).
- Cook chili on low for at least 3 hours — stir occasionally, and if you prefer a hotter chili, add more hot peppers or even some red pepper flakes over time.
- Serve with grated cheese, tortilla chips or corn bread/muffins!
Don’t forget to make a batch of her Simply Sweet Corn Muffins to go with this chili – they complement one another perfectly!
Want more recipes? Check out 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes: The Only Slow-Cooker Cookbook You’ll Ever Need!
In need of a new slow cooker? Amazon offers great deals on slow cookers with prices ranging from $29.88 for a Crock-Pot SCCPRP500-LTD 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker to $79.99 for a Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker in Stainless Steel.
During the Fall and Winter The Centsible Family will showcase a slow cooker recipe that one of the Mavens of Money have tried and tasted. By sharing, we hope you will be able to save a little time during the week as we all know saving time is just as valuable as saving money. And you will be able to enjoy a hot meal at the end of your day!
Tagged with: recipe
Hi there! I'm Jenny, a coffee-addicted, busy-body, work at home mom of two insane boys. I love football, cooking, Deadliest Catch, video games, Wordpress, and CSS (I'm kindof a geek). Feel free to say hi! We can be nerdy together.