emergencyOn Monday morning, I had pains in the lower, left of my abdomen. They continued for the next few hours and also brought nausea with them. At around 11am, I decided to get out of my chair and to attempt to take a shower, but when I couldn’t even walk to the bathroom, I knew I was in trouble. Fighting back the tears, I called my husband, who works an hour away, and told him, “I think I have another kidney stone.” He said, “I’m leaving now.” As soon as he arrived home, we headed to the emergency room.

The entire car ride to the hospital was complete agony. It felt like being stabbed by a thousand knives. It felt like my insides were going to explode.

When we arrived at the hospital, the waiting room was packed (as usual). So I layed on one of the couches and miraculously, the pain stopped. And while we waited for 3 hours in the waiting room, the pain didn’t return.

Finally my name was called. A room was ready for me. And in this room we sat for another 1-1/2 hours until the nurse arrived. She asked my symptoms, put a needle in my arm for future medications, and said the doctor would be in soon. A half an hour later, the doctor arrived. Once again, I provided my symptoms. He asked my pain level and I told him it was only very slight pain at this point so he said he would send a nurse with pain and anti-nausea medication. He informed me that he would be sending the ultrasound team down to get me.

After about 45 minutes, the nurse arrived with pain medication. She said it was a fairly low dose medication and it would take affect in 10-15 minutes. During that time, the pain returned, with a vengeance. The pain was so bad that tears came to my eyes and there was nothing I could do about it. Roughly 15 minutes later, the ultrasound team had arrived. And my pain was only getting worse.

I sat through the ultrasound activities for about 30 minutes with absolute pain the whole time. The ultrasound tech even apologized; I could tell she felt bad.

Once I arrived back in my room, I told the nurse about my pain. She quickly brought back something stronger that completely wiped me out. About 45 minutes later, the doctor arrived to tell me the diagnosis.

I have a golf ball sized cyst on my left ovary. They told me that there’s really nothing they can do except provide me with pain medication and request that I follow up with my OBGYN. My appointment is on the 29th. I can only pray that the pain subsides until then or that the cyst goes away on its own.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well.. I don’t want you to think I fell off the face of the earth. I haven’t posted since Sunday and if you’ve been around for a while, you know that’s unusual for me. So if you notice a lapse between most posts, don’t worry.. I’m still here. :)


Tagged with:
About The Author


Hi there! I'm Jenny, a coffee-addicted, busy-body, work at home mom of two insane boys. I love football, cooking, Deadliest Catch, video games, Wordpress, and CSS (I'm kindof a geek). Feel free to say hi! We can be nerdy together.

19 Responses to A 7-Hour Trip to the Emergency Room

  1. Patricia says:

    I hope you are well now, Jenny. I have witnessed a few friends who were in agonizing pain because of kidney stones so I have an idea on how much pain you were in. Take care of yourself!

    Patricia, promotional products

  2. Karen says:

    I am so sorry to hear about this…how awful! I cant believe you have to wait so long to get in to see your dr. Hope you are on the mend & feeling better soon.  :-)

  3. Sophiasmom19 says:

    I’m so sorry you have to go through all of this Jenny.  If there is anything I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to ask.  I can’t believe your appointment is so far out; it seems like something the doctors should address quickly, especially given all the pain you’re in.  Ugh.  I’m saying prayers that you feel better and all heals quickly for you!!

    • Jenny says:

      Thanks Jessica. I will definitely let you know. I appreciate the offer too!

      The appointment would have actually been further out because my regular OBGYN is booked until the end of October, so I opted to go with the shorter appointment with the 85 year old doctor. :-/

  4. Turning the CLock Back says:

    This happened to me about 6 months ago.  Mine is smaller but ^&$* was I in PAIN!  Did they recommend surgery?  My doc just wrote me a prescription for serious pain meds and said wait and see.  I have had SOME pain since but very little.  Hopefully yours will stop giving you trouble soon…The docs said they sometimes shed by themselves and go away without surgery.

    • Jenny says:

      The ER doctor didn’t really recommend anything other than following up with my OBGYN. So I really left there just as clueless as when I arrived. I’m hoping it goes away on its own though even though I did have a similar (yet one-day) episode in August.

  5. Victoria says:

    Hope you feel better soon and this cyst disapears on its own. They do come and go.

  6. Michele L says:

    How terrible!  I hope you feel better soon.

  7. Brenda Williams says:

    Bless your heart. You will be in our thoughts.

  8. Sunnie says:

    This is seriously too bad!  I hope it gets better soon and you dont have to do surgery or anything, this is such a bummer.

  9. Jenny says:

    Thank you, me too!

  10. Jackie says:

    I hope you are feeling better soon!! 

  11. Holy cow!  Hope it goes away on its own and the pain stops.  Hang in there!

  12. Please take it easy & feel better.  You poor thing.  ((HUGS))

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>